Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Shakespeare in Wimberley

Mark and I went to see Bryan Chafin play Lysander in a A Midsummer Night's Dream last night. Each summer the kids in Wimberley put on two Shakespeare plays at the Emily Ann Theater. They make the costumes, build the sets, play all of the parts. I saw Bryan and his brother Blake in King Lear almost seven years ago and was floored by how wonderful the production was. Last night, I would have been rolling on the ground in laughter had no one been sitting next to me or blocking a clear path to roll around on. Instead I stayed in my seat, belly aching from laughing out loud. These kids gave me stitches in my side. I haven't laughed that hard in a play or a movie in quite some time. In all honesty, I cringe at seeing plays. They're expensive, long and my bum hurts towards the end of the first act, but these guys kept me on the edge of my seat and sad when it was all over.

I read A Midsummer Night's Dream back in high school and saw the Kenneth Branagh version long ago, but had forgotten the language, the insinuations, the dirty jokes. These kids nailed it. They took the thick Shakespearean language and ran with it. If you live in the Austin, Wimberley, San Antonio area, I strongly, strongly recommend supporting these kids and witnessing a laugh out loud (many, many times) performance.

Congratulations to all of the cast and crew for an amazing theatrical treat.

No comments: