Friday, July 14, 2006

Please accept my apologies.

Larry Clark, I apologize. I take back the mean things I said. I take back any doubt that I had about you. Wassup Rockers, though completely flawed, poorly acted, not well written and sometimes absolutely ridiculous is one of the sweetest films I've seen in a long time. Your affection for these kids is written all over the screen. Not the old dirty man kind of affection that you're so often accused of, but the sincere, genuine kind. It's a sweet, sweet film with a heart the size of Los Angeles. So please accept my apologies. Sincerely. Kat Candler

3 comments:

David Lowery said...

You didn't like the acting? Some of the supporting roles were a bit iffy, but I loved the main group of kids. I couldn't stop watching them. That scene with the girl in the bedroom went on way too long, but I loved every moment of it.

ryan said...

I loved the performances, too. At least of the main boys; all the other, superfluous, Beverly Hills characters were terribly acted, but I think maybe that was on purpose?

And I agree that the conversation in the girl's room was way too long, but still it was endearing.

Also, Mr. Clark, it's going to take more than one sweet film to redeem yourself after "Ken Park." Maybe two.

Kat Candler said...

overall i thought the kids were great. there were moments you could feel that they felt the camera on them. mostly at the beginning.

i, too, wasn't crazy about the handling of the "white" characters or the predicaments the kids would get in with them.

i LOVED the scene in the bedroom. by far my favorite moment/scene in the film. i didn't care that it went on too long.