Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Jax Recap

It's oh so quiet in my office these days. Our company is split between two wings. I'm housed in an office on the west wing and literally everyone else is in the east wing. Occasionally someone will come over to use a conference room to conduct an interview or pick up a package that's been delivered. Other than that, it's just the hum of my space heater and footsteps from the gaming people upstairs.

I will say the quiet's been nice after I spent a whirlwind four days in Jacksonville, FL for the Jacksonville Film Festival. This is my hometown. I grew up in Jacksonville Beach which is just across the Intracoastal Waterway from Jacksonville. There were three major bridges that separated the two. These were the bridges my friends would jump from, hence the movie.

At the screening on Friday night I must've run into about 50 people that I hadn't seen since high school. I kept stumbling over familiar faces. Some I knew, some, I couldn't place. But one after another they came up to me. We got a really warm and wonderful response to the film. Michael was there to field questions about the movie and about LOST. And over the course of the weekend, there were many questions about LOST. When we went to do press Friday morning, he was bombarded with people wanting photographs and autographs. It was sweet, really. He's so good about that sort of thing. Very patient and kind to everyone. He's just like that. But I really had no idea how fanatical people are about that show.

I was lucky enough to spend a lot of time with fellow Austinites, Mike Akel and Angie Alvarez from the film CHALK. This film is so endearing and sweet and laugh out loud funny. I wouldn't be surprised if it got picked up tomorrow. This might be one of my favorite Austin made films ever. I can't wait to see what they do next.

In a nice and tidy recap, I made lots of new filmmaker friends, visited the actual Brain Brawl set at Douglas Anderson School for the Arts, made a new best friend in Garrick Morgan, my host and all around cool guy and ate so much Peterbrooke's chocolate that I made myself sick (they were one of the sponsors of the festival).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome,kat!
h.a.e

Clare Jane said...

Well thanks for the spoiler, for those of us who were thinking of catching LOST on DVD!!!