Friday, May 05, 2006

Death defying moments.

Everything became more real yesterday. My mom and Deanna chatted up a storm about the rehearsal dinner while Mark and my Dad put together a bench on our livingroom floor. My brother and his family of five rolled into town late afternoon. It was the first time I'd met my new niece Caroline. She was not a happy camper. I held her while she cried and cried at dinner. We're thinking it might be a case of bad gas. My dad and I spent over an hour at Rock N Roll Rentals getting a karaoke machine for the rehearsal dinner. I forget what a process that place is. They want your fingerprints, bloodwork, urine samples, name and address of every boy you ever dated ... not really, but pretty darn close, it feels like. My poor mom has this huge rehearsal dinner planned with cakes, truffles, BBQ, fruit salad, Raspberry soup, salads and the list goes on and on. She brought home about three refrigerators full of food from the HEB yesterday. I'm curious how it'll all come together. I have a lot of faith in that woman, she just tends to have very big ideas. Maybe that's where I get it from. She even has nametags for all of the guests. And a list of games to play. It'll be a blast, I'm sure.

So we braved the storm last night. Karen, Mark and I picked up Ama from the airport around 10pm. We got in the car and I started driving home when it hit. The winds shook the car from side to side and the rain came down in buckets. I couldn't see a thing and the lights and electricity on the side of the road were down. I think I was going about 5 miles an hour on 183. We finally pulled over at a gas station and waited it out while listening to the emergency news announcements on the radio. On the way home we saw a car that had driven off the side of the road. Half of it was buried in mud. Huge trees had fallen in the streets. Just madness, I tell you. Of course, it's beautiful outside right now. The sun is shining, the plant I've almost killed for about two weeks is green and full.

I should go hop in the shower. My mom and I have manicure appointments. My first one ever.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Enjoy your manicure and fun time with your mom! I'm so excited about the weekend... it's going to be a big rollercoaster ride of fun and joy!

We got the storm bad here too - it woke us up around 3am and we lost electricity at least twice. It actually scared me, mainly because I imagined a killer with a knife sneaking into the house during the storm.

jessicalee! said...

preserved-flowers.com

have fun at your wedding!