Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Day Three - San Francisco

Mark came up with the cutest slogan for Yank Sing, the Dim Sum place that blew our taste bud's minds yesterday morning. "It's all that and Dim Sum". So cute. This was my first Dim Sum experience. No wonder the place was packed, the food was out of this world. 5 1/2 out of 5. No kidding. They had this little bun that was stuffed with bbq chicken. Sort of like a hot pocket, but good. Something I'll dream about.

After Dim Sum, we braved the masses at X-Men 3. And how appropriate. Not to give too much away, but it takes place in San Francisco and much of it involves the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz. It's kind of like when I saw Peewee's Big Adventure on vacation in San Antonio. I knew later that day going into our tour of the Alamo, there was no basement.

We roamed around the North Beach again and found heaven in a candy shop that lets you sample any salt water taffy you want. Caramel Cheesecake. Yum.

So instead of watching a movie during Mark's break I was lucky enough to discover the LAW AND ORDER marathon on TNT. When I lived with Buckner many years ago, we would find ourselves paralyzed by episode after episode of LAW AND ORDER. And the funny thing is, I've watched that show for years and seen a few marathons in my day, but still, still I sit down to watch and have never seen that episode. I love it.

Dinner at a not so good Thai restaurant that was reasonably priced and, well, open. 1 out of 5. No, wait, 1/2 out of 5. The peanut sauce really sucked. We've discovered that only the crappy and expensive restaurants are open in Union Square and the Financial District after 8pm. You have to venture elsewhere for anything reasonable and good it seems.

One observation/fear before I go. Yes, the hills are indeed extremely steep in San Francisco. Unbelievable so. We took a cab back from dinner two nights ago and I had to close my eyes most of the ride home. We took Mason from Bay Street back to Post and it was one crazy steep incline followed by a drop that rivaled scary rollercoaster rides. I hate roller coasters. I tried really hard to love them as a kid and then as an adult, but my stomach wouldn't let me. So then yesterday, I wanted to walk back from North Beach on Mason. Even walking up and down that hill was frightening. God bless the flatness of Texas.

Today, Muir Woods, Sausalito and maybe Sonomoa Valley. We'll have a car waiting for us in an hour and a half downstairs. All of a sudden the world is ours. At least until 6pm when we have to return it.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Yay! I'm so glad you guys are going to Muir Woods and Sausalito. I really, really enjoyed my trip there.

Don't forget to check out the R&G Lounge for Chinese food that will blow your mind. This is their website. The salt and pepper crab is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Also, if you want a small splurge, you should totally go to LuLu's Restaurant. Their website is:http://www.restaurantlulu.com/restaurants.html#lulu. It's in the SOMA area near the museum and Moscone Center. Every time I go to SF I make sure to go there. I've gotten Mandy hooked on it.

I first time I was there, I did a lot of the same walks you did. I was completely out of it by the third day - I quickly forced myself to learn how to use the public transportation system.

Victor

Anonymous said...

Also, see if you can find a club called the Bondage-A-Go-Go. After a long night of drinking, some guys from work took me there some years ago. It was quite the sight.

Victor