Sunday, March 19, 2006

A good day.

Last day of SXSW highlights ...

Seeing Cocaine Angel and meeting Mike Tully. The film made my stomach turn and ache, but I think that's a good thing. There's a poignant scene towards the end which I haven't been able to shake since I saw it. It sounds like we'll meet up again at the Jacksonville Film Festival in May.

Spent a good portion of the day catching up with Maya. I haven't spent that much time with her since maybe college. How strange. She's still as wacky and loveable as ever. With a New York flair.

I caught Korey Coleman's film 2AM with Stacy and was so pleasantly surprised. It's sweet, clever and laugh out loud funny.

Bosque Brown's show at 0 Degrees ended a pretty great day. Mara Lee Miller astounds me. Her voice shows no boundaries and no fear. And seeing her perform live ... I'm awe struck.

Things I took away from SXSW:
1) Cool filmmaker friends that I'll hopefully see again on the festival circuit ... Mike Tully, Eunhee Cho, Alan Chan, Joe Swanburg
2) A great pride for the Austin film scene. I'm floored by the filmmakers in this town. They're all a force to be reckoned with.

No comments: