Sunday, January 01, 2006

Ringing in the New Year

I spent New Year's Eve alone. A hot bath and a good book. I was asleep by 10pm. It was actually a really good night. I needed it.

So I'm wondering how cut out I am for this marathon thing. I ran 16 miles by myself this morning. I'm a little worried. By mile 13 and 14, I wanted to stop so badly to stop and walk the rest of the way. I have yet to invest in one of those water belt things. And the sad thing was that none, NONE of the water fountains between I-35 and the dam were working. I had to do that loop twice. I freaked out stopping at every single water fountain and then yelling "shit" when I discovered they were dry. I almost tackled some old runner guy with a water bottle strapped to his back. I thought I would die I was so thirsty. And the goo ... it's starting to make me feel like vomiting. I wonder if bananas might be a safe substitute. I think if I eat another Mocha Mocha Power Gel, I'm seriously going to puke. I struggled through the last 3 miles. Big time. I didn't think I would make it up the stairs at the Congress Bridge my legs felt like jelly. And when I stopped at the finish line, oh man, my legs nearly gave out. I've been sore with an upset stomach ever since. I came home to a quick hot bath before heading out for a New Year's Day brunch with friends. After lunch I sat and watched all of "Cocktail" and made Mark rub my feet. It's a really bad movie. The dad from 90210 is an extra at the bar in Jamaica. That's kind of funny.

1 comment:

kelly rae said...

kat, i can't believe you don't have a water belt. it's dangerous not to have one with the distances you're running. i have one of those dorky ones that has 4 8ounce bottles in it. it's the best thing ever. go get one and try it! and the goo makes my tummy totally ill with anything over 9 miles. bananas work well for me, but i know different things work for different people. i read once that for every hour of running, you need to drink close to one liter of fluid (part water/part eletrolyte replacement). you CAN do the marathon. these long runs are perfect for figuring out what will work and won't work for marathon day. keep going. you're almost there, sweet pea.