Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Battling the Hives

Sunday morning Karen and I went on this amazing hike through the greenbelt. We needed that time to talk, just the two of us about life, her pending move to NYC, our friends, ourselves. I've sort of been avoiding all talk of the move. When I start to think about it, I start to cry. So I don't. I know when the time comes, I'll be pretty devastated. Karen's my best friend. She moved here the summer we shot cicadas, 1999. Karen and I met in seventh grade. We attended the same academic magnet school smack dab in the middle of downtown Jacksonville, FL. It's a school where all of the nerds and geeks from all over Jacksonville congregated. At the time, I wasn't so sure about it, but little did I know, I had found my people. I would befriend some of the greatest individuals I could find. In eighth grade, we became fast friends and entered the same circle of friends, friends that are still considered my best. Luckily, she's settling into a new city with old friends. I'm so glad Clare is there. I'm sure they'll be attached at the hip.

But back to the hike. I must've breathed in something or brushed up against a plant that I'm highly allergic to. I've been battling a case of hives for two days now. I thought it was poison ivy or poison oak. But after seeing the doctor yesterday, her immediate response was hives. An allergic reaction to something I ate, touched, breathed ... they're like red welts all over my legs, arms, belly and back. And the urge to itch is horrible. I don't remember having chicken pox as a kid, but I imagine this is exactly what it was like. I wish I had a pair of oven mits to put over my hands and duck tape them on so I wouldn't scratch so much. I've taken numerous baths with Aveeno and taken Benadryl like clockwork every six hours. I end up getting about three to four hours of sleep a night, usually waking up at 4am to take a bath and wait for my next dose of Benadryl. I've watched Lucas, School of Rock and half of Fanny and Alexander. Not sure what I'll watch today. I haven't run since Saturday and am feeling gross about it. People say calamine lotion works, it doesn't. I think it's a mental thing. My doctor gave me a steroid shot and told me it should clear up mostly by today. So far, not so good. We're nearing Thanksgiving and I want to be rid of it. I'm trying to think if I would rather have stomach flu or hives. That's a tough one. I'm thinking maybe hives. Being nauseous kills me. This sucks pretty bad. I'd rather be at work staring at a wall.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

stomach flu is much grosser along with being more uncomfortable. don't even talk about it, Kat. Hives suck, though. Usually they give you a sort of steroid cream to put on. Hmmmm. I like the gold bond medicated for itchies.- Alison

Anonymous said...

My doctor gave me a steroid shot for hives. I still have a few on my legs but hopefully that will clear up as well by tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I just got the same shot today, so far 10 hours later and no benadryl im doing fine ( with the exception of my lower back and ass being sore from that hella shot) take warm not hot baths with Oatmeal packets they sell in the soap aisle at the store.

Best of luck.