Sunday, August 21, 2005

The last batch

I'm watching the last batch of footage tonight. It's past my bedtime and I'm pouring through the very last scene that we shot. Scene 23. It might be my new favorite. I'm watching Glen Powell struggle through a monologue about a building in Tokyo that became famous in the late 80s because entire families were committing suicide by jumping off of it. It became a tourist attraction. Poor Glen could never get it quite right until about take 7. It was kind of cute. God, I miss those kids. I've been watching a whole lot of them on the Avid. But it's not the same.

Chris Garcia wrote a really sweet article about me the other day. In fact, I got recognized in Quack's this morning when I went in for my Bran muffin. There was a huge picture on the cover of the Life and Arts section Saturday. Me striking a model pose. I felt really silly, when Matt, the photographer kept telling me to jut my shoulder out further and further and look off wistfully into the distance. I'm such a friggin' dork.

I'm going to Houston this weekend to teach a class on making short films. Stacy's also screening RESCUE ME while we're there. It'll be a nice departure from Austin.

Our New York trip is right around the corner. I'm getting pretty excited about the Ethiopian restaurant. A bunch of my friends from Tallahassee will be there for CMJ. I'm hoping to have a little reunion at a bar somewhere.

Agh. I should go to sleep. I have to run in the morning.

4 comments:

Eric said...

Hi, I don't know exactly how I heard of your film, Cicadas, nor do I know how to get a dvd of it to watch, but I've been so interested in it ever since I came by it's website.. I'm just wondering if there's anyway to come by a hard copy of your film anywhere in California.. Well, I'm not only interested in your film but I'm also interested in directing.. I'm only 17 right now and I really don't know where to start. I've told my parents my dreams of becoming a movie director, but they've only responded with negative cries of becoming 'mature'. Right now I'm at a total lost and somehow I think that you might be able to help me (you being a director yourself). It'd be nice if you responded but you really don't have to. I'm sorry for writing this much

Pete Bauer said...

Kat - great to see you finishing up another project. I can't wait to see it. You're so tremendously talented with such a unique insight into adolescene... its amazing stuff.

Keep it up.

Kat Candler said...

Eric,
You can email me at katcandler@hotmail.com. I'd be happy to answer any questions and figure out a way to get you a copy of cicadas.
Kat

Lee said...

You are hardly a dork. However, if you were I would wish it for all my children. Unassuming, creative, friendly, helpful, generous, smart--are these dorky characteristics?