Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Bad Ass

My mom used the phrase "bad ass" today over email. I slapped my forehead and grinned from ear to ear. I love my mom ... more than life itself. As a child, she impressed upon me that I could do anything, become anyone. She stood beside me and held my hand during rough times. Both as a child and as a 30-year old woman. She sat on the phone with me when I cried hard and straight for about two hours one afternoon. One of the worst days of my life. She was ready to hop on a plane, no questions asked. She's let me make my own mistakes and never once chided in with "I told you so". She gave me gentle nudges when she could recognize my talents as a kid and my shyness to do anything with them. Most recently, she tried to contact Mel Gibson on my behalf. To tell him I was making movies in Austin and he should see them. She's been my cheerleader through rain, sleet and snow. She's been a source of inspiration and undying love. I inherited her confidence to take on the world. Especially when people would stand in front of me and say, "no". Her quirky ways have often times found their way into my very being. I love it though. I look at old photos of her in her late 20s and can finally see myself in her eyes. I told her when I was so very little that I wanted to grow up to be just like her. She has a heart the size of the ocean.

2 comments:

Leland said...

isnt it though?

Lindy Gruger Hanson said...

Just found your blog. Love your writing. I miss my mom (she died in March) and your writing made me miss her even more. That's what great writing should do, stir emotions and bring forth memories. Thank you.

Keep up the great work.

~ Lindy