Tuesday, July 26, 2005

This fictionalized world.

I never intended for this project to be an issue driven film. It never crossed my mind. But in the past few weeks, I've had emails here and there from people sharing their stories about their father, son, brother, friends who have taken their lives. I've never had a relationship with suicide, only a fictionalized world loosely based on an experience from long, long ago.

The email we received this morning was from a woman who's son took his life last year after a battle with drugs and mental illness. She sent photos and links to several websites she created in memory of him. I just had no idea how many people this affected. I'm nervous. I'm nervous that I won't do justice to the subject matter. I'm more afraid of people who are in the aftermath of a loved one's suicide watching the film than I am of Sundance programmers and distributors.

No comments: