Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Rabbit Ears and the Zellners

Thanksgiving Eve.  I remember this very day from 2003.  I'd gotten a call from Slamdance telling me Roberta Wells got in to the festival.  I remember running around my tiny apartment screaming, jumping up and down and dancing in a circle.  I remember phoning friends with shaky fingers and a shaky voice to tell them the good news.

I got a call from Slamdance today.  Not to tell me I got in, but to tell me  there were glitches on the tape I sent them for their shorts DVD.  Sarah, who programs the short films, also told me Walter Lehman didn't make the cut this year.  Too long, she said.  I knew this.  I had a feeling I wouldn't be going to Park City this year.  She was very sweet about it and told me she really liked the film.

I know I need to be on a set again.  It's been over six months since I made my last short and I'm feeling the anxiety.  Having dinner with the Zellners last weekend only solidified that feeling.  Hearing about their latest projects made me jealous and anxious.  I'm glad I have those boys.  Somehow, they keep me grounded.  Not to mention they make me laugh my ass off.  They make me wish I'd grown up in their family.

Here's my problem of late ... television.  I've been watching too much of it.    A few months ago Mark bought rabbit ears so he could watch baseball.  Before the rabbit ears we couldn't get any channels.  We only used it for the VCR and DVD players.  But that was fine with me.  In fact, I wanted to keep it that way.  I explained to Mark how I become a television addict.  And I hate myself for it, but I can't help it.  I'm a sucker for "Friends", "The Gilmore Girls", and "Law and Order".  I remember one weekend when Buckner and I got cable, we watched probably 20 episodes of "Law and Order" in one sitting.  Since the rabbit ears came into our house, I've been sucked into shows like "Wife Swap", "The OC", "Trading Spouses".  Last night I watched some reality show about people losing weight.  Every now and then, I'll look over at my computer which sits in the opposite corner of the TV.  It stares back at me longingly.  Begging me to come type some new script or cut and paste a short film.  But no.  I've embraced the busdriving mom from rural New Jersey who teaches the rich mom from New York to spend more time with her kids.  I hang out with Seth, Ryan, Marisa and Summer who all make being a teenager look so much cooler than it really was.  I hate myself.

No comments: