Friday, November 19, 2004

IT Bands and Ice Baths

The US Comedy Festival asked us to submit Brain Brawl. Apparently they stage readings. Jim Carrey is their honoree this year. We're also waiting to find out about the Berlin Talent Campus for Brain Brawl and jumping off bridges. The two events overlap. We could either be skiing in Aspen or roaming the streets of Berlin. Either one would be pretty cool.

Still waiting to hear back from a bunch of festivals ... Sundance, Slamdance, Rotterdam, Florida, Victoria ... And a bunch of screenplay competitions ... Disney, Tribeca, Cinequest, ASA, Miramax ... I'm sure the rejection letters will start rolling in any day now.

I'm in physical therapy. It started on Wednesday. After some serious knee pain, I went to the Orthopedic doctor last Thursday. I have an inflamed IT band. Basically the tissue that runs from my hip to my knee. Every time I would run it would flare up by mile 5. It got worse and worse. And then the day after I went to the doctor, my shin started hurting. It hurt to even walk. I have tendonitis in my shin. That actually hurts the most. So basically, my whole left leg is broken (figuratively speaking). It's all a result of overtraining and running too much.

It's my first time with physical therapy. She starts with a deep tissue massage. And I hesitate to say massage because, the second time she did it, I almost started crying. I actually screamed with pain. Then I do little exercises she gives me along with working my leg on machines. And lastly, she wraps an ice pad around my leg and attaches electrodes up and down it. I'm not sure which is worse, the deep tissue massage or the ice pad. The ice pad and electrodes work their magic for 15 painstaking minutes.

She's letting me run starting on Sunday. Only 3 miles. And afterwards I have to take an ice bath. That's right, an ice bath. I have to fill up the the lower portion of the tub with ice and then sit there for 15 minutes. It makes me question whether or not I want to run again. I can't think of a more horrible punishment. It sucks! Needless to say, I won't be running the marathon in February. But y'know what? I think it's fate. The Comedy Fest and the Berlin Talent Campus would conflict with the marathon, so MAYBE my leg injury was a way for me not to shell out the $80 for the marathon because I'm destined to ski in Aspen or roam around Germany. Let's look at it that way. It's a prettier picture.

Oh yeah, I'm still 30. And I'm still lovin' it.

No comments: