Thursday, November 11, 2004

Bicycle Girl

It was sort of a strange morning. A rather odd and somewhat disturbing beginning to my fourth decade. I started my morning walk at 6:30am. (I've been walking this week because I might have Chondromalacia patellae or more commonly ... runner's knee) I walked about a mile and headed down Duval towards San Jacinto. A young girl whizzed past me on her bike. A second or two later I heard a low thud. I didn't think much of it. About a minute or two later I see her bike in the middle of the road. I ran down the sidewalk and saw the woman lying face down in the grass. She was somewhat contorted over a huge branch that had fallen from the tree onto the ground. My heart fell to my feet. I knelt down next to her to see if she was still breathing. She was, but it was uneven and heavy. I put my hand on her back and asked if she was ok. No response. I asked if she needed help. No response. Again, I asked if she was ok. Nothing. There wasn't a soul around and nothing was open so I ran a few blocks to a coffeeshop. I called 911 and told them what happened. I was maybe gone for 3-5 minutes before getting back to her. When I got to the scene, she was gone. Her bike was still lying in the middle of the road and her headphones on the sidewalk. The EMS and firetruck came and I explained the situation. There was some lame ass guy across the street sitting in his car. I yelled at him to see if he saw her leave. He said he didn't see anything. The firefighters took her bike and headphones and asked what she looked like. They left me standing there a little shaken and unsure. I couldn't figure out what to do with myself so I walked home and cleaned my house while Mark slept. I just hope she's ok.

The day has since taken an upward turn. I've gotten a million emails from friends and family (I feel very loved) and eaten a huge piece of my coworker's homemade pineapple cake. I'm about to head to the doctor's office to get my knee x-rayed.

No comments: