Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Being called in for dinner.

My friend Clare and I used to dream of winning Oscars when we were in high school. We wanted to clink our statuettes at the Vanity Fair party and sip champagne with Meryl Streep and Robert De Niro. We went to every Thespian competition in high school and would take home awards for solo monologues or group performance. We had leads in all of the school plays. I was Fastrada in Pippin, the narrator in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, M'Lynn in Steel Magnolias ... I was a high school theater diva. I always thought I would win an Oscar for acting in some epic drama about war or drug addiction or something along those lines. I had no idea that someday I would be behind the camera. Filmmaking to me seemed ... honestly, I didn't understand it. I had no clue how films got made. And as the pieces started to come together and I saw the bigger picture, it still seemed over my head. All of the technical intricacies, freaked me out. They still do. But telling stories, oh man. I can feel it in my blood. I was describing to a friend the other day how and why I write and it all started to make sense to me. When I was little I spent a lot of time by myself. I created forts in the woods and made up friends who would come to visit. For hours I would hang out in the dirt lot next to my house creating cities in the sand to drive my brother's box cars around. I loved creating and breathing those other worlds. I would crawl inside my imagination and hide there when my mom would call me in for dinner. I still do. Sunday, when I was working on a rewrite for "Brain Brawl" Mark kept trying to talk to me and ask me questions. His voice was barely audible, almost warbled on the edge of my conciousness. I was deep inside Hampton College Preparatory School, hanging out with my characters while they battled it out against their rival school, Kennedy High for the Statewide Brain Brawl Competition Title. At that moment, on that day, it was all I knew. The only place I wanted to be. I like making movies and telling stories, because I still love to hide inside my imagination and pretend like I can't hear my mom calling me in for supper.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

telling stories is fun and film. i also like badlands and g.w.