Monday, September 27, 2004

9/20/04 My New York Trip

I barely made it through a really cold shower this morning. I told myself, "Be brave" before dousing myself in icy water. It was truly painful. Lorie was still sleeping at 7:30 in the morning so I decided to run down to Whole Foods at Columbus Circle. I was in search of trail mix. Not just any trail mix, but the trail mix you get out of the bulk bins. I'd already tried a few natural food stores on the upper west side with no luck. Upon arrive at Whole Foods, I searched high and low. Surely they would have bulk bins. I thought it was like a rule or something. Finally I asked the produce guy who didn't speak any english. He pointed me to another guy who I had to explain what bulk bins were. He said they didn't have them. I could feel the crushing blow in my gut. No bulk bins. The horror. And here it took me a whole hour to get down there to find out I'd be leaving without my beloved trail mix. It was a sad morning in Mudville. The whole trail mix thing has become an addiction really. The employees at Central Market and Whole Foods have come to know me quite well. I'm a fixture.

Oh, I could really use a nap. I didn't run today. Maybe I should have. Sometimes I kick myself for not. Or rather my weight neuroses kicks me.

So, there's something both inspiring and disheartening about going to conferences like these. I feel like I'm in a herd of cattle. Like I'm lumped in with all of these desperate and aching filmmakers. I'm nameless, indistinguishable. It can really depress me. I don't like being a part of a large group like that. I don't want to be a part of "the club" as they call it. I like going solo. Being with all of these people makes me feel icky, somehow.

We keep running into Mary Lampe from SWAMP. Such a lovely lady. I like her a lot. She asked if she could put "Roberta Wells" on The Territory. It's a program that airs on PBS all across Texas. That made me very happy.

No comments: